4 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 ½ teaspoon coarse salt (sea salt okay)
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup unsalted cold butter (regular butter is fine too)
2 cups buttermilk
This recipe comes from my big sister, Cindy Luiz.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Put all dry ingredients in Kitchenaid mixing bowl and mix together.
- Cut butter up in cubes and add to Kitchenaid mixer bowl with whisk attachment and mix until has coarse crumbs.
- Add buttermilk and mix with spoon until moist and sticky but don't overmix.
- Flour board and press out the biscuit dough, then fold over the dough and press out, fold 4-5 times total - this creates the flaky texture.
- Repeat pressing out and folding over a total of four times.
- After the final fold, press out the dough to about 1 inch thick.
- Cut with about 2 inch biscuit cutter.
- Reform dough and repeat.
- Make little cinnamon rolls out of the last of the dough. :-)
- Put on a baking sheet and bake about 18-20 minutes until lightly browned.
Back to Jan's Recipes