To form and bake cookies:
- Cream butter with sugars in mixer bowl until light and fluffy.
- Blend in vanilla.
- In separate bowl mix together flour, salt, pecans.
- Add flour, salt, nut mixture to butter and sugar and mix on low speed until just blended.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Shape chilled dough into smooth 16-inch cylinder.
- Wrap with waxed paper and foil and refrigerate at least 4 hours. (Can be prepared ahead and refrigerated 3 days or frozen up to 1 month. Thaw at room temperature for 20 minutes before continuing.)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Line 2 baking sheets with foil or parchment paper.
- Cut chilled dough into 3/8 inch slices and space 2 inches apart.
- Refrigerate any unsliced dough.